My book club read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman back in June 2019. You can find my review for it here. I ended up using some discussion questions from two different websites to augment the ones I came up with on my own. I tweaked the wording a bit on some of the questions I found online, so here are the website links if you’d like to see the original wording:
The questions in blue are the ones I came up with on my own. I hope these questions lead to great conversations in your book club groups!
- What did you expect before picking up this book? How were your expectations met or missed?
- There are many different covers for this book; most of them released in pairs. What do you think of the cover pairings and what it says about the novel?
- What did you think of the footnotes? Did you read them? Do you think they added anything to the story?
- Good Omens was a collaboration between two authors. Could you tell that different parts were written by different people or did the book feel cohesive?
- What do you think of the relationship between Aziraphale and Crowley? Do you think that Aziraphale and Crowley are distinctly good and evil, respectively? Why or why not?
- Aziraphale and Crowley made concerted efforts to shape the upbringing of the Antichrist until they discovered that they had the wrong child. Do you suppose that Adam would have found his powers sooner had they been involved in his life? Why or why not? Is it possible that their involvement in Warlock’s life made a difference?
- Do you think the characters Agnes Nutter and Anathema added anything significant to the story? Do their prophecies fit in to the satire or are they merely there to further the plot? What about the roles of other secondary characters? (Newt, Shadwell, Madame Tracy, The Chattering Order of St. Beryl, etc.)
- What are your thoughts on the depictions of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Why do you think the 3rd horseman was changed from Pestilence to Pollution?
- A lot is going on in this novel. What do you think the main idea/theme is? Do you think it comes across clearly? Why or why not?
- The beginning montage for the Good Omens TV series is made up of a bunch of different styles of art. Do you think this fits the book? Do you think there was a reason the montage was done this way?